Friday, November 25, 2011

Journal #9 "Reading Redefined for a Transmedia Universe" by Annette Lamb

Lamb, A. (2011). Reading redefined for a transmedia universe. Learning and Leading With Technology39(3), 12-17. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-november-2011.aspx


Summary: I found this article very interesting because I am a very avid reader. I will almost always prefer reading a book over watching a movie or participating in activities. I have recently made the change from paper book reading to digital e-book reading and until now have never thought about the effects that this switch is having on the world. I have witnessed in today's classrooms, that reading is slowing becoming digital. Even though it is slightly scary for me to think that one day paper books will become a thing of the past, the advances in the digital reading world are quite impressive. These advances now allow readers to highlight, search for words or phrases, virtually bookmark as well as use dictionaries and take notes. Though some of these tools could be utilized using paper books, such as highlighting, using dictionaries and note taking, digital reading devices make these talks quite a bit easier. Lamb also pointed out that these digital readers make reading more interactive the classroom, or simply at home by providing the young reader with options on how to access the reading material such as "read to me," "play with me" and "read by myself" options. I believe that these features are great for children who are learning to read or even struggling with their reading development. Lamb also shares that many researchers have found that interactive books with high quality navigation has provided support that benefits struggling readers. In addition to support for struggling readers, this new technology is also providing support for visual and hands-on learners. Through Transmedia reading in the classroom, students are able to not just read, but participate in digital activities as well. I believe that this is just great because I myself am a visual and hands-on learner. I envy children today who are given that ability to benefit from this technology. I believe that today's advancing technology is such a positive step in the education world, though I cant help but make a connection to the book "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and feel as though it is a personal responsibility of mine to hoard as many paper books as possible.


Question #1: How is digital book reading helpful in the classroom?


I believe it is helpful in the way that, students are not only excited to use their high-tech devices, but their attentions are held longer because of the level of interaction. I also believe that because of the excitement of these devices, students will be more excited to read. These devices are also more effective when considering the increasing classroom size and space left in the classroom for books and other materials. These devices provide a small space to store many books as well as giving the reader a variety of material. 


Question #2: Can digital readers and electronic devices be a distraction in classrooms rather then a helpful tool?


These electronic devices can definitely be a distraction if not utilized correctly. I think the best way for these devices to retain their helpfulness is to implement struct rules in the classroom, as well as assure that there are no educationally unrelated information, software or material on these devices. If these things are not made available to users, they will not cause a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment